Now that Arizona’s children are back in school, local food banks are seeing a spike in demand as many parents were spread thin financially from purchasing school supplies and other back to school expenses. Larry H. Miller Dealerships announced today a partnership with two of Arizona’s largest food banks, the Community Food Bank of Southern Arizona in Tucson and St. Mary’s Food Bank in Phoenix, on a month-long “Food Fuels Learning” campaign, which will help children who are back in the classroom with the food they need for academic success.
Larry H. Miller Dealerships’ “Food Fuels Learning” campaign will support the Community Food Bank of Southern Arizona’s School Pantries Program, which works to alleviate hunger by providing resources to low-income families via food pantries at convenient locations. In Phoenix, the drive will support St. Mary’s Food Bank’s Backpack Program, which provides children who are chronically hungry with a weekly food bag to help their families through the weekend. Both programs are vital for school performance among children across the state.
“We know childhood hunger is a very real problem in Arizona, and families are struggling now more than ever to stay afloat during this time,” said Pat Kroneberger, senior vice president of operations, Larry H. Miller Dealerships. “Our company is focused on supporting children in their health and education, and we hope this monthlong drive will help fill a void at the local food banks and provide nutrition to students to support their learning.”
Now through Sept. 30, Larry H. Miller Dealerships is encouraging its employees and the public to help fill a vehicle at each of its 12 dealerships in Tucson and across Metro Phoenix with nonperishable food items to help children continue their learning with proper food and nutrition. In Tucson, some of the most needed items include unopened peanut butter and cereal.
The COVID-19 pandemic has greatly impacted the communities served by both food banks. This past year, the Community Food Bank of Southern Arizona distributed 87 million pounds of food, a record for the organization. Now that children are returning to school, the organization is seeing an increase in families in need for its Hunger Relief Programs.
“The demand for food and resources in our community has been at an all-time high,” said Michael McDonald, CEO of the Community Food Bank of Southern Arizona. “Our mission is to help promote a healthy, hungry-free southern Arizona and with school starting back up, it is vital we get all the support we can to prevent childhood hunger. Larry H. Miller Dealerships’ ‘Food Fuels Learning’ campaign ensures children and families will get the assistance and nutrition they need.”
Donations to the Community Food Bank of Southern Arizona will go toward its School Pantries program, providing students and their families fresh and healthy food to take home. The pantries are intended to alleviate child hunger by providing resources to families at convenient locations. The Community Food Bank of Southern Arizona is currently operating 33 school pantries. Last school year, the organization served 5,266 children per month.
The “Food Fuels Learning” campaign will culminate in October, when a caravan of Larry H. Miller Dealerships vehicles stuffed with non-perishable food will deliver the donations to the food banks.
Food Fuels Learning Drop-off Locations:
- Larry H. Miller Dodge Ram Tucson, 4220 E. 22nd St., Tucson, AZ 85711
- Larry H. Miller Chrysler Jeep Tucson, 7800 E. 22nd St., Tucson, AZ 85710
- Larry H. Miller Volkswagen Tucson, 900 W. Auto Mall Dr., Tucson, AZ 85705
- Larry H. Miller Ford Mesa, 460 E. Auto Center Dr., Mesa, AZ 85204
- Larry H. Miller Nissan Mesa, 2025 Riverview Auto Dr., Mesa, AZ 85201
- Larry H. Miller Dodge Ram Avondale, 10101 W. Papago Fwy., Avondale, AZ 85323
- Larry H. Miller Chrysler Jeep Avondale, 10055 W. Papago Fwy., Avondale, AZ 85323
- Larry H. Miller Volkswagen Avondale, 10205 W. Papago Fwy., Avondale, AZ 85323
- Larry H. Miller Hyundai Peoria, 8425 W. Bell Rd., Peoria, AZ 85382
- Larry H. Miller Dodge Ram Peoria, 8665 W. Bell Rd., Peoria, AZ 85382
- Larry H. Miller Toyota Peoria, 8633 W. Bell Rd., Peoria, AZ 85382
- Larry H. Miller Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram Surprise, 13165 N. Autoshow Ave., Surprise, AZ 85388